Friday, January 2, 2015

Yawn for Your Brain



Go ahead, yawn. I won't think my blog is boring you because I know why you are yawning. Do you?

A yawn isn't a sign that I am putting you to sleep. Rather, it's a sign that your body is revving up your brain so that you can more efficiently process what I'm saying. It's actually the body's way of rejuvenating the brain so that it can function more effectively.

Research has found that yawning helps cool down an overactive brain as it attempts to regulate its temperature and metabolism. It helps us reset ourself. God has put a reset button at our disposal for our brain. He also has a reset button for our soul. We know what it is for our brain––yawning. But, what about our soul? How do we reset our soul?

It's a new year. A new beginning. Time to let go of the past and press on to new goals––maybe continued goals or even secret goals. I have a few of those myself but if I told you mine, then they wouldn't be a secret any longer.

The first few days of a new year it's easy to be revved up about our new dreams and goals or even continuing our old goals we put on hold. But, how do we pursue this journey throughout the year––maybe even years? How do we start, and how do we continue our journey to fulfill our goals––without giving up, and without burning out.

In my last blog, I challenged you (and me) to be busy––but with guidelines from God's Word. Now let's see how to be renewed so we are fruitful in our labors. Yes, a yawn to rejuvenate our brain helps reset us, but how are we renewed? How can we reset our soul? What's the reset button for our soul?

Press here...

Psalm 139:113 says, "You are my place of quiet retreat; I wait for your Word to renew me." Seems pretty simple––retreat to a quiet place, wait on God"s Word to renew us.

Reset: Yawn so our brains can rejuvenate and our bodies can reset––in other words, breathe deep, relax.

Retreat: Find a quiet place to be apart––revamp.

Renew: Be in God's Word and wait to hear His voice speaking to us––restart.

Result: "...And then take on an entirely new way of life––a God-fashioned life, a life renewed from the inside and working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces his character in you." Ephesians 4:24 (MSG)

Go ahead, push God's reset button and be renewed to reflect Jesus––His character in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment