Saturday, August 9, 2014

Superpowers


Superpowers. Don't you wish you had them? Our busy schedule causes me to wish for more hours in the day or for time to slow down. I really don't want either. I just want to accomplish the most in the least amount of time. But, recently I discovered that I do have special powers.

Rushing out to a speaking engagement last week, I cringed when I opened the door and felt splashes of heaven's sprinkles on my face. My hair,  oh no. It would be frizzy by the time I arrived at the church. I dashed to the car with barely a drop falling on my recently shampooed and blown dry hair. Not to fret. My attitude check revealed a calm, smiley face demeanor. My hubby and I were off to a good start as we zoomed off in our newly acquired used shiny silver car. Then it happened.

My efficient husband had letters to mail. He whipped the car into a parking spot, handed me the letters and watched me exit the car to dump the letters into the mailbox. However, he never expected what spilled from my lips as I slammed the door and glared into his sparkling blue eyes.

For the next few minutes, he heard about his insensitivity–– asking me to step out into the mist that would certainly cause my hair to crinkle and turn into mounds of ratty looking curls. How could I speak to a group of meticulously groomed women while they stared at a blonde Raggedy Ann?

He apologized for thinking of the mail first instead of my needs. So I settled into my seat avoiding eye contact. A few minutes later, I reach over and patted his two hairs on his forehead and wished I could take back my harsh words. His eyes glanced my way and with a sweet smile he said, "I knew you couldn't stay mad at me for more than five minutes."

To which I replied, "It's just one of my superpowers."

"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power within us." Ephesians 3:20

So, I do have superpowers and so does my husband. We can forgive each other because Christ forgave us. We have His power to overcome sin and live a victorious life.

Imagine all He can and will accomplish in and through us.

Let's use our superpowers––His power at work in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment