Thursday, July 11, 2019

Antique Aunt



 "Dear friends, let us love one another, 
for love comes from God" (1John 4:7 NIV).

When I was a child I spent many hours with my great aunt, Aunt Flora. She was in her golden years and loved to crochet. I like to think of her as my antique aunt, cherished, valuable, and not forgotten. 

The beautiful dress in this picture was crocheted by Aunt Flora, just for me. Actually, it was for my doll, but now it is on my bear that was given to me by a friend. Both are reminders to me of lasting friendships.

Many children in Bolivia call me aunt. It is a form of respect for your elders in this culture. I often wonder if they will remember me as I remember my aunt. Aunt Flora was more than an aunt, she was my friend. When I had a problem I could go to her house, and she would take time to talk, sometimes for hours. Looking back, it was love that came from God. 

Aunt Flora is gone now, but her memory is lasting. She was a mirror of God's love for me when I was a child. I hope I am a mirror of God's love for children––an antique aunt like Aunt Flora.

How about you? Are you a mirror for God's love?


The tiny book sitting on the bear's lap was a gift from a close friend. In it is a quote that sums up Aunt Flora's life. She left a lasting impression of God on my heart.

"Some people touch our 
lives only briefly...
while others leave a
 lasting impression and
 are never forgotten." 
                            
 from...  FRIENDS
 are the family we
 choose for ourselves.
A Book of Quotations For Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment